NUOVA MILLECENTO CLUB ITALIA - Fiat 1100
Benvenuto nel forum ufficiale del NUOVA MILLECENTO CLUB ITALIA.

Se non sei ancora registrato, clicca in basso su REGISTRARE; la registrazione è gratuita.
Se invece sei un utente registrato, clicca su CONNESSIONE per accedere al forum ed interaggire con gli altri appassionati

BUONA NAVIGAZIONE
Community

Assicurazione

- CONVENZIONATI -

La polizza assicurativa per
appassionati e collezionisti.

Escluse CAMPANIA- PUGLIA
CALABRIA
ABBIGLIAMENTO
Polo e t-shirt
personalizzate
NUOVA MILLECENTO
CLUB ITALIA
------------------------
tutte le info sul nostro sito
alla sezione SHOPPING
Gadgets promozionali

Portachiavi personalizzato
stile anni 50/60
-- TERMINATI -- 
----------------------------
tutte le info sul nostro sito
alla sezione SHOPPING

Ever thought of fitting an overdrive..? (Avete pensato ad un overdrive?)

Vedere l'argomento precedente Vedere l'argomento seguente Andare in basso

Ever thought of fitting an overdrive..? (Avete pensato ad un overdrive?)

Messaggio  1100inNZ il Dom 8 Mar 2009 - 9:13

Hello All

Took my little lovely for a spin this afternoon, going great! While travelling at my usual 55mph it occurred to me that it would make a lot of sense to fit an overdrive. Would anyone have any thoughts on this - esp Luigino, with your knowledge and experience...? Loads of old British cars had overdrives... any idea if any would be likely to fit (apart from the usual imperial/metric issues)...?

I look fwd to your thoughts, John

Per quelli di voi che non parlate l'inglese, questo messaggio domanda se si potrebbe montare un overdrive per creare una 5a marcia. Tante macchine inglesi (ed altre) degli anni 60/70 avevano un overdrive attacato al cambio, cosi' mi domando se si potrebbe fare lo stesso sulla 1100... La macchina va benissimo senza ma potrebbe lo stesso essere utile.

1100inNZ
Socio Onorario
Socio Onorario

Numero di messaggi : 531
Modello Fiat 1100 : 1100-103 D - 1961

Vedi il profilo dell'utente http://www.nuovamillecentoclubitalia.it

Tornare in alto Andare in basso

over drive???

Messaggio  LUIGINO GORI il Mer 11 Mar 2009 - 17:19

Hello John

I think that if someone wants to really go very fast and cruise easily, then I would do a conversion with a 5 speed box from a FIAT 124ST, 125S, 131S gearbox, that would increase the overhaul gearing.

All FIAT 1100/1200 cars have a 4.3:1 final drive and fitted with 5.20 x 14 inch tyres which would make gearing, for about 26kmh at 1000 engine rpm, EXCEPT FOR FIAT 1100R Razz , which has 155 x 13 inch tyres.

Now that means that if your FIAT engine has enough power to achieve 5000 rpm, Very Happy it would be equal to a true speed of 130 kmh. 4th gear ratio is direct 1:1, and final drive is 4.3:1.

Now the FIAT 1100R has the same size tyres as the FIAT 124 1189cc early series, and are geared for about 25kmh, lower than the other FIAT 1100/1200 models, so at 5000 engine rpm the true speed would be 125kmh.

Although the FIAT 124 1189cc engine can rev more than the FIAT 1100/1200 engines it is able to achieve about 5800rpm, and is slightly faster than normal FIAT 1100 cars.

The fastest FIAT 1100 and 1200 cars should be all models with the 103H, 103ETV, 103TV, 103G004 and 103G000 engines with higher compression ratio and twin choke carburetors, and the cabriolet models should be the fastest in acceleration because the first 3 gears are higher geared, than the normal first 3 gears of other FIAT 1100/1200 models

Strangely the FIAT 1100R engine has a side draught, TWIN carburetor completly different to the twin choke carburetors of the FIAT engines above, but I think this engine can have more power if you fit a normal FIAT 1100/1200 exhaust mainfold to create more back pressure.

......The other alternative is to fit a final drive ratio of 4.1:1 like the FIAT 124 Special and FIAT 125(1400cc engine), or 3.9:1, like the Fiat 131; to increase all gearing, therefore it would also increase the top speed and make cruising a bit more comfortable at 100kmh.)62 mph)

With a normal FIAT 1100/1200 cars, except for cabriolet models the 1st gear, is a very low gear, and I hardly use it, there is a trick that comes from experience on how to change to 1st gear whilest the car is moving, (not too fast, but if you are changing down from 2nd to 1st gear), a quick double D-Clutch, reving in between, and bounce you can change to 1st gear.

I hope this helps with a bit of information.

regards Luigino
LUIGINO GORI
Special User
Special User

Numero di messaggi : 27
Modello Fiat 1100 : I am the proud owner of a 1965 FIAT 1100D, R.H.D, assembled in South Africa, which my father bought on 18th September 1965, and has been in the family ever since new.

In previous years, I owned another 2 FIAT 1100D cars and have become very passionate about these cars.

I have a lot of technical experience with these cars and my knowledge extends to my personal contact information and research with the Premier Automobiles Ltd in Kurla, Mumbai, where the FIAT 1100D was remanufactured as Premier Padmini.

During a trip to India in 2004, I did a lot of research on these cars and have taken very interesting photos, including the CNG gas conversion kit fitted to the taxis and the Premier 1.37D, which has a diesel engine, but not FIAT engine, it is a Peuqout engine.

In my travels throuhg Africa in 1998, I saw many old FIAT models in Ethiopia and Egypt.

My FIAT is mechanically 100%, although the bodywork needs to be restored.

I hope to share interesting thoughs on all FIAT 1100 models, and happy and proud to be a MILLECENTO member.

Ciao Luigino

Vedi il profilo dell'utente

Re: Ever thought of fitting an overdrive..? (Avete pensato ad un overdrive?)

Messaggio  1100inNZ il Mer 11 Mar 2009 - 19:03

Thanks Luigino, that's very helpful and interesting... My interest is not in going fast, just saving wear on the engine... I normally go at 55mph which should be equivalent to about 3500 revs... The diff ratio option would seem the most sensible... should the diff show signs of needing attention. Some of the guys on the forum have commented on whining diffs, but mine is very quiet. Gearbox synchro on 2nd is a bit weak, but ok if taking things gently. So far, I've never managed to really get the hang of double declutching, esp when in traffic etc but I usually manage to avoid any crunches (same with the old Landy that only has synchro on 3rd and 4th).

Anyway, it's all good to know.

The dumped old yellow 1100 - same/very similar model to mine - is still looking for a home at about a 100 miles from here... Am hoping to go and see it next w/e and maybe sort something out. Would be good for parts, but I'm pretty tight for space... and I could do without any additional expenses!

Anyway, good to hear from you, Luigino. All the best, John.

1100inNZ
Socio Onorario
Socio Onorario

Numero di messaggi : 531
Modello Fiat 1100 : 1100-103 D - 1961

Vedi il profilo dell'utente http://www.nuovamillecentoclubitalia.it

Re: Ever thought of fitting an overdrive..? (Avete pensato ad un overdrive?)

Messaggio  Contenuto sponsorizzato

Contenuto sponsorizzato

Vedere l'argomento precedente Vedere l'argomento seguente Tornare in alto

- Argomenti simili

Permessi di questa sezione del forum: